It is time to B-R-E-A-T-H-E (Day 6)

This new series of devotionals is almost over. I enjoyed every bit of it, did you? Tomorrow we will wrap it up with something special. 
Meanwhile, do you need to find space in your life to rest, breathe and refuel?  you will enjoy all the amazing devotionals in this series.

BREATHE is an acronym but we will unwrap each word just like a treasure hunt.

Today’s Word is H and it stands for Heal From Your Past Wounds

HEAL FROM YOUR PAST WOUNDS by Carla Gasser

We have all heard the phrase, “Let go and let God,” but usually that is much easier to say than actually do.  Letting go of past hurts, sins, and struggles is often a daily task even for those of us who have found freedom in Christ.

I know it is definitely true in my own life and I often wonder why that is.  Why do we let the baggage of our past keep us from moving forward?

Several years ago I went through a difficult time with some of my closest friends.  These were women that I did almost everything with: they were “my people.”  We raised our children together, went to church together, served together, laughed, cried, and shared life together. Our husbands were friends and our kids were the best playmates.  They were as close to me as family. 
But something happened along the way... 

Gossip was whispered. 

Unkind words were spoken.

Accusations were made.

Alliances were formed. 

It turned ugly very quickly and we all contributed to the problem.  The group split up amidst heartache and many hurt feelings.  It was a terrible time in my life. 
I kept thinking:

How could this happen to group of women who loved Jesus?

At what point did we take our eyes off of Him and turn on each other?  I felt shame, guilt, and betrayal.  It was hard for me to move on...I did not know where to go or even how to get there.

What do you do with such brokenness? 

How do you forgive? 

How do you heal from such deep wounds?

During that period, I spent a lot of time alone praying and reading God’s word.  I felt I had nowhere else to turn but to Him, but that is exactly where I needed to go!  I think God does that to us sometimes.  He takes away everyone else, humbles us, and allows us to return to Him for what we needed all along.

The only way we are truly healed of our brokenness and pain is to go to the Healer.

These are the important lessons I learned as I tried to move on from the pain and regret of the past.

1)         SEEK WISDOM
I looked for trustworthy (older and wiser) godly women to help guide me and keep me accountable.  I shared with them everything that happened, confessing my own failures and shortcomings too.  I allowed them to speak truth into my life and I took their advice.

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Proverbs 11:14

    2)   CONFESS AND ASK FOR FORGIVENESS
I sought forgiveness.  I apologized to those I had hurt intentionally and unintentionally hoping for reconciliation and restoration. 

I have to honestly tell you that most of the relationships were not fully restored, but I am content with that because I know I did what God asked of me in trying to make things right.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:9

   3)   FORGIVE...AND KEEP FORGIVING
I forgave those who wronged me even when they did not ask for it.  This was a daily struggle for me for a long time, but I was intentional about doing this until my heart softened and I could let go of the pain and hurt.

Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Matthew 18:21- 22

   4)   LEARN FROM THE PAST
I learned from my mistakes.  I was much more prayerful and intentional about forming new friendships.  I go to God now (instead of others) when I am hurt or frustrated by what other people do.  I try to give more grace and acceptance.  I realize that only God can meet all of my needs.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Corinthians 13:11

   5)   TRUST GOD TO BRING HOPE FROM HURT
One the verses God gave me during this very dark time is found in Isaiah 43:18-19:
“Remember not the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I am doing a new thing;
Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”

God graciously allowed me to move on from the past by providing a way through the wilderness.  He told me to forget the former things and look for the new thing He would do in my life.  And He did it! 

I do not know what pain and hurt you are carrying from your past today, friend.  But I do know that God wants to free you from it.  He wants to give you His forgiveness as you grant that same forgiveness to those who have hurt or wronged you. 
He says He has “removed our sins as far as the east is from the west” (Psalm 103:12), so we can rest in that promise.  When we let go of the baggage from the past, we are free to run in forgiveness, hope, and peace in rivers He will make for us in the desert.

For Further Reading:
Let it go

10 good reasons to push replay button

Prayer Prompt
Lord, heal me completely from every scar. I choose to lay aside all the burden and guilt from unforgiveness and bitterness.
Lord bind my broken heart let me experience peace and rest in you in Jesus Name. Amen

About the Author: Carla Gasser
When not teaching, writing or speaking, I am most myself as a wife and mom living in Hudson, Ohio with my four very active children (ages 18, 16, 14, &10). I am married to Michael, my childhood friend and high school sweetheart, over 24 years ago and feel very fortunate to have such a loving, generous and level headed partner and best friend.
I also enjoy serving in the women's ministry at my church, mentoring young women, and volunteering in the local public schools my children attend.  I continue to teach Bible studies and have a passion for local outreach.  
You can learn more about me and my ministry by visiting 
AT THE CROSSROADSor http://carlagasser.com/

I am Sharing this article here:

Weekend:  Weekend BrewStill SaturdayBlessing Counters  #Give Me GraceSunday Stillness
Words of Comfort LinkupGMGFaith and FellowshipA Group Look Link upFive Minute Friday.

Tuesday: Tell Me a True Story Unite LinkyTitus2sdayTestimony TuesdayTell it to me TuesdaySDG gatheringGood Tips TuesdayTeaching what is good#RaRaIntentional Tuesday

Wednesday : Wholehearted HomeWomen with intention WednesdayWWLink upMore of Him, Coffee for your heartW2WThree Word Wednesday

Thursday : 3Dlessons#live Free ThursdayI choose Joy,  Hope in Every Season,

Do you have my New Devotional? Are you looking for a great Mothers Day gift ? "My 30 Days Journey to a fulfilled Life" a beautiful read for personal and group study.



Download Two free eBooks, "Let Us Pray" and "A Verse a Week"



Labels: ,