….And to knowledge, Temperance….
As a continuum of our study series on 2Peter1:5-8,
we shall take a quick look at temperance.
What does
it mean to be temperate? It is self-control, self-restraint, and self-discipline.
It also entails knowing when, how and where to draw the line. To be temperate
is to have a sense of being moderate. It is living a life free of excesses. We all
have our personal cravings. It could be food, junks, chocolates, sweets etc. it
could be habits alcohol consumption, gambling, smoking, cocaine addiction, favourite
TV programs and social networking and an endless list of addictions.
Temperance is
a fruit of the spirit. You cannot be Spirit filled and not be temperate. Simply put,
you cannot be self-controlled without the help of the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy,
peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance:
against such there is no law.
Temperance in all areas of our lives
1Corinthians 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached
to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Our fleshly
lusts are destructive and militate against living a fulfilled Christian life. Saying
“no” is the tough part of being disciplined. Two lettered word that
carries a lot of power.
Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:
but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Taking an instance from Daniel
Daniel and
his friends refused to defile themselves with the king’s portion. It sure does
take a lot of courage to say no to a great king. People are easily swayed by
food and gifts.
Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his
heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor
with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the
eunuchs that he might not defile himself
In the book
of proverbs, the bible warns us of gluttony. Many have lost their place in
destiny through food, money, material gains etc.
Proverbs 23:1-3 When thou sittest to eat with a ruler,
consider diligently what is
before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.
Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.
Ever heard
of “nothing goes for nothing”. Over 90% of the time people don’t just
hand out freebies. There is always a hidden motive.
Let’s take
another illustration from the Rechabites.
These are a set of people who had received a
firm warning from their father. They obey to the last letter. This is
discipline.
Jeremiah 35:5-6 And I set
before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots full of wine, and cups, and
I said unto them, Drink ye wine. But they said, We will drink no wine: for
Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no
wine, neither ye, nor your sons
for ever:
Ephesians 5:18
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the
Spirit;
To conquer many
un-Christ-like addictions we need to ask the help of the Holy Spirit. Many a
times when we face such temptations we can overcome with God’s help.
I also
struggle with some of mine and I see myself pulling through as I completely
rely on God’s help. I am not there yet. But this reminds me of how human and
fallible we are.
Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the
flesh with the affections and lusts.
Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit,
and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
I renewed my personal decision to be self-controlled and to work it out. Even if I fall
sometimes, I am sure going to be up on my feet soonest because God has
promised.
Proverbs 24:16 For a
just man falleth seven times,
and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
Prayer: O
lord thou hast known my very many weaknesses help me to overcome. Grant me the
grace to be temperate in all things.
You can
read up on the previous posts on this study 2Peter1:5-10 and also join this
discussion by commenting. Thanks a lot.
Previous Studies
Labels: Devotions