Do You Have a Grace Table This Christmas?

My move to South Africa came with a lot of surprising and unexpected changes. I had a tough time readjusting almost everything. I badly missed my family and friends. That was bound to happen anyway.

Now I have to make new friends and learn the mores of this new place. The first Christmas I spent was anything but fun.

There were no friends coming over, no friends to visit needless to say who was I hoping to see anyway?

I enjoy cooking–especially our local African dishes. And now, there is no platform to do so.

My disappointment won’t go unnoticed.
My husband tried hard to make the most of that Christmas.


Well, there was something missing?

 

Not something, some things really were missing…



Does this sound familiar?


For me, Yes…
If you closely observe, Jesus always did something unique.
He always ate with the people (Luke 15:2).

He always had a meal and a table to share the moment (Luke 7:36 and Luke 11:37).
The Lord Jesus always had these moments of dining with His disciples and with people.

Jesus clearly showed us the beauty of having a community we could share our table with.

We may not always have a get-together, but this holiday season provides such a rare occasion.
I made up my mind to have a more exciting and satisfying holiday experience. Now I had to tackle these three things that were absent.

 

Finding the “Family:”

Was I expecting our family to come over through no less than six hours flight time each holiday?

Certainly not! We had to find or should I say make a family here. Like Jesus, “family” was His partners in ministry, the disciples. He found community in His followers (Mark 3:35).

“Family” is beyond blood ties

“Family” is what makes a community.

Community is “family”

To find that family we need to find a community.
For us, we found that community in the local church where we were attending. It won’t be long I made new friends and family was born. And soon enough, there were people to cook for.

 

Making the Meal:

If you love cooking, you enjoy satisfaction from watching the folks who relish your dish. Call them your “Food Fans.”

Cooking is more than the mere act itself.

It is beyond the process of mixing, grinding, adding the ingredients, turning up or turning low the heat etc.
Cooking is way beyond the savoury and appealing taste of the meal itself.

 

Cooking is about the platform of love and sharing that it creates.

 

That art of mixing and concocting all the ingredients with love and joy brings a delightful smile to my face.

That is what makes each meal satisfying.

 

Making the Grace Table:

At the dinner table, the glasses of fine wine, the dishes of different meals, the laughter, smiles, and the noise from the spoons when they scoop from the ceramic plates make it all come together.

Whether you make the meal and packaged it in food packs and went over to another home just or a family or two come over to join you in your home whichever way, you have created “the grace table.”

The grace table is about the moments you have shared with your community–family, friends, neighbours, etc,
Let all the meals, the cooking or baking in this season.

Be about “the grace table.”
Be about the Love shared at the dining.
Be about the moments we have shared together.
Be about the grace that comes with cooking.
In the process of making a grace table, you will find a community and create lasting memories.

As you plan your Christmas, create a “Grace Table,” share love and laughter with your community, find joy in these profound moments and enjoy delightful meals.



**This was first published on Melanie Redd's Blog 

By His Great Grace,
Ifeoma Samuel

Did you enjoy this devotional? Follow us via email and don't miss a post!

* indicates required




I may link this article HERE.

Enjoyed reading this? Then you will love reading my book. Click to buy below


Side Note
love reading your comments and visiting you too!
So, dear friends, if you find leaving a comment challenging, please try using the anonymous option but fill your name and contact after your comments. 

You can also try using Name and URL option too. If you are a blogger, please add your links in URL or comments so I can stop by too!

Labels: