Her father held her up and tried everything he could
to console her. She cried and pleaded for her to go with them. As we slowly
left the airport, our emotions well...was sad as our daughter’s.
My daughter was going to miss her cousins and her
aunt. They had spent close to two weeks of their vacation with us. Since home
was far for us, having family members visit was such a blessing.
The
best part of their stay was the beautiful act of kindness her cousins had shown.
All four kids had one pony toy each but they left two of their pony toys!
Two more pony toys for my daughter so she won’t
miss them much. They wanted her to have something that would remind
her of the fun, the play and lots of quarrels too.☺
They wanted her to be comforted in their absence.
What they did was remarkable.
She was left with “comforting-pony toys”. Yes, I was emotional about it, who wouldn't?
Reminds me of what the disciples must have felt
knowing Jesus was soon to be gone .
Their Master and Best friend was taking a “short leave”.
Who would lead them?
Who would show them mysteries?
Who would teach them?
Who would love them as He did?
Who would provide for them?
All these thoughts and more must have gone through
their heads.
These things have I spoken unto you,
being yet present with you.
But the Comforter, which is the
Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all
things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto
you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid.
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go
away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the
Father: for my Father is greater than I.
John 14:25-28
They loved the Lord Jesus so much that their
feelings of disappointment and loneliness wouldn’t go unnoticed. Jesus felt it too and said He will not leave them comfortless.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no
more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
John 14:18 -19
Jesus understood there would be a lot of emotions running
wild when He was gone.
He knew that “they” and “we” will need an
instructor for those times when we lacked knowledge of what to do.
Just as He knew His disciples, He knows us all too.
Jesus knows our frame,
He knows how weak we
are.
He knows how
vulnerable we are without Him.
He knows that we will
be faced with lots of life challenges.
So He gave us “the Comforter”
He placed the Holy Spirit in our lives.
He knows as the disciples felt His physical absence, we too long to be with Him. While we wait on His second coming, we have
Him dwelling right there in our hearts as the Holy Spirit.
Do you feel alone? You have a Companion
Do you feel miserable? You have the Comforter
Do you lack direction? You have the Instructor
Do you lack counsel? You have the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is there to comfort you, teach you
and instruct you in all things.
Like the pony toys left behind, the Holy Spirit is
our Comforter.
We
yearn for our heavenly home, it seems so far. But the Lord is close to us; He
is with us and very near in our hearts.
Like the toys left behind, my daughter is glad to
play with them and not miss her dear cousins so much because she knows one day
she will see them again.
We, if we continue in faith and not go weary, will see our Lord
Jesus someday soon.
Meanwhile, The Holy Spirit walks with us, works in us and
reminds us of the Lord’s Precious Promises. He encourages us in our lives' journeys as we prepare our hearts to join our maker some day.
Comment
Prompt: Have you missed someone so much in your life that you long to see them soon? How prepared are you for your home in heaven? Are
you building up your treasures in Heaven or here on earth?
Prayer:
Holy Spirit, thank you for dwelling right here in my heart. Thank you for your
comforting grace. Thank you for your compassionate love. I am grateful for your presence in
my life. I am grateful for your guidance and help in Jesus Name. Amen
By His Great Grace,
Ifeoma Samuel
Have you read my new devotional? You can get yours here.
I enjoy devotionals. If you do sign up to read them in your emails.
Get three free eBooks too. Download yours here.
Name*
Labels: Devotions