I stared at my daughter funny movements. I sat down and crossed my legs.
She followed suit. I placed my hand under my chin and she did the very same
thing.
I watched her through the corner of my eye. I did not want her to know my eyes
were on her.
She was following my every movement.
I cannot help but wonder what my children would learn from me.
I think
it is a concern we all have as parents. Of far more concern is how closely our
actions influence our young ones.
Let me re-introduce to Herodias, an all-too-familiar story.
Bible Reading: Matthew 14:4-11
I call her the “Queen of Injustice”, a strong woman who never liked to
be opposed. I consider her one of the most dangerous woman character in the New
Testament.
She hated John the Baptist because he had spoken up against the evil
she and her brother in law had done.
Her hatred drove her to hatch a clever plan to eliminate her greatest
critic and opposition, John.
Personally, I see her as a woman who loved
position power and control and would do whatever to retain her place and get
what she wants.
It is a growing trend to see women obsessed with power and fame even
within the Christian faith.
As I studied this bible passage, I drew out important points. I probed
myself and I would love you to ask yourself these same questions.
Am I sharing this attitude to life like this woman?
Do I scheme my way to get things?
Do I take well to godly corrections?
What are my reactions to the word ‘NO’ especially when it comes to my
desires!
Am I proud of what I teach my children?
Going forward…
The height of Herodias’ indiscretion was roping her young daughter into
her plans. Making her daughter dance for the king.
When Herod made her an offer, the innocent girl with excitement ran to
her mom.
With her eyes lit up and smiles covering her pretty face, *I presume*
“Mom, what am I going to say?”
The little girl was eager for an answer,
She had hopes for proper guidance and
She was seeking a good advice.
But it was not going to be because her mother had other plans. She was
obsessed and could only think of John’s head!
Here is another troubling Red flag.
What kind of a dance would
get the king into handing out a blank cheque?
Herodias obviously knew what the king liked, understood his weaknesses
and preyed on it and got her way.
One credit you would give her is her
intelligence for evil.
She had no remorse, no second thoughts to her actions.
All she
wanted was John’s head!
When John’s head was cut off, her daughter brought his head to her.
What was she going to do
with his head?
Gloat on her enemy’s downfall.
This must be a very sadistic person!
Lets tie all the loose pieces together...What lessons can we learn from her?
1. Her pride made her resist the John’s correction. She
was blinded by position, fame, wealth and vanity. Pride is the perfect recipe
for failure and disaster.
2. She never took well to corrections. She just could not
handle the word ‘NO!’ to her desires. She never wanted to retrace her steps.
3. She understood the king and used his weakness against
him. Seriously, a manipulative person will use the weaknesses and inabilities
of others to have their way.
4. More important, our children learn from our actions.
She used her own daughter to achieve her selfish aim.
I paused and reflected on my own personal actions. There many who look
up to us for advice and help, are we failing them for our own personal gains?
Prayer:
Lord, help me to live a life that would please you and bless others in
Jesus Name.
Comment Prompt
Please join the discussion table through the comments section. What
lessons do you learn from Herodias?
Precious Blessings
Ifeoma Samuel
Have you read my new devotional? You can get yours here.
I enjoy devotionals. If you do sign up to read them in your emails.
Get three free eBooks too. Download yours here.
Name*
Labels: Devotions