It is time to B-R-E-A-T-H-E (Day 1)


I am glad to introduce us to this new series of devotionals yet again don’t you just love it? Do you who need to find space in your life to rest, breathe and refuel? Then you will love this one. I very excited to write this series with my friends.

BREATHE is an acronym but we will unwrap each word just like a treasure hunt.

Today’s Word is B and it stands for Be still

Be still by Carla Gasser
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10


One of my favorite stories in the Bible is when the Israelites are fleeing Egypt and are about to cross the Red Sea.  Do you remember that story?  God had told Moses to go to Pharaoh and demand that he let his people go.  Pharaoh refuses, so God sends plagues.  Pharaoh continues to enslave the Israelites until the last plague takes the life of his son.  He finally relents, so the Israelites pack all their belongings and begin to run.  

But almost immediately after releasing the people, Pharaoh has second thoughts and sends his chariots and armies to recapture them.  It is a tense situation for the people when they reach the Red Sea, knowing that Pharaoh and his men are closing in quickly.  They look to Moses for help, wondering how God is going to rescue them now.  

And here is what Moses says:
“Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.  The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.”
Exodus 14:13-14 (NIV)
The Egyptian arming is coming fast and furious on horses with weapons drawn and the Red Sea is just ahead, raging and impassable...I think the last thing I would think of doing would be standing still!  These people risked everything for their freedom. 

 And now Moses was asking them to stop and be still? 

I would be preparing to fight, run, or swim.  Anything but stand still.

I think reading other translations of this verse only enlarge our understanding:

The King James Version reads, “hold your peace.”

The New Living Translations says, “just stay calm.”

The English Standard Version reads, “be silent.”

And The Message uses the strongest language, “keep your mouths shut.”

Here is how the dictionary defines the word still:
Motionless, unmoving, deep silence and calm, subdued, free from disturbance or commotion

Not exactly the words one would use for battle, right? 
Maybe I would be so scared that I would be rendered motionless, but quiet?  I think it would be hard to stifle the screams that would naturally rise out of my mouth.

Yet, that is exactly what Moses told the Israelites to do: stand firm and be still.
And I think God speaks to us in same way today.

Are you facing a battle right now? 

Do you feel like the armies are closing in and there is raging sea up ahead? 

I feel like I have been in some battles of my own the last few months.  And my natural tendency is to fight...especially when those battles involve people I love and want to defend.  I also want to run...when things get too difficult.  Standing still is not something that comes naturally to me.  Neither does being quiet. Fight or flight is often my involuntary response to crisis.

But God keeps whispering in my ear:
"Be still.”

“Stand firm.”

“Hold your peace.”

“I've got this one.”

“Trust me."

“Shhhhh...be quiet.”

Sometimes the Lord does tell us to fight like he did with David and Goliath or with Joshua and the Battle of Jericho.  He calls us to action.  But other times, like with the Israelites fleeing Egypt, he tells us to be still.  He asks us to trust Him to fight our battles and to watch and wait for victory in His way and in His timing. 

I don't know what enemies you may be facing today on the journey, nor do I know if God is asking you to fight or stand still.  Maybe He is just asking you to slow down so that you can hear His voice.  

Either way, I want you to be encouraged by how the story ends for the Israelites. God parts the Red Sea and enables them to escape the Egyptians by walking through on dry land.  

Truly amazing!  He delivers them completely and all they had to do was stand firm and be still just like He said.  

The battle is the Lord's and His call to us is to BE STILL.
              
  Prayer Prompt
Lord, teach my heart to be still and to wait on you. Help me to be patient; Knowing that my patience is required for me to receive  the promise (Hebrews 10:36) in Jesus name.


About the Author: Carla Gasser
When not teaching, writing or speaking, I am most myself as a wife and mom living in Hudson, Ohio with my four very active children (ages 18, 16, 14 &10). I am married to Michael, my childhood friend and high school sweetheart, over 24 years ago and feel very fortunate to have such a loving, generous and level headed partner and best friend.
I also enjoy serving in the women's ministry at my church, mentoring young women, and volunteering in the local public schools my children attend.  I continue to teach Bible studies and have a passion for local outreach.  
You can learn more about me and my ministry by visiting 
AT THE CROSSROADSor http://carlagasser.com/

Joining this link ups:
Monday: Art of Home Making, Good Morning Mondays, Monday Musings, Home Sing Mondays, Soul Survival

Tuesday: Embracing His willLet me Tell you a True StoryTitus2 Tuesday, Teaching What is good#RaRa linkupIntentional TuesdayTell it to me TuesdayUnite Linky,  SDG gatheringTestimony Tuesday

Wednesday : Word Filled WednesdayWomen with Intention WednesdayWholeHearted HomeCoffee and conversation  Comfort Linkup

Thursday : Thought Provoking ThursdayI choose joyImparting Grace#Everyday Jesus, #live free Thursday

Weekend : GMG, Beloved Brews, A Group Look at the Book, Five Minute FridayFaith and Fellowship#Dance with Jesus, Grace and Truth Linkup

Do you have my New Devotional? "My 30 Days Journey to a fulfilled Life" a beautiful read for personal and book club study and a great Mothers Day gift too Available Here:



Download your Free 7-Prayer Devotional (Let Us Pray), "A Verse A Week" and read all the latest articles directly on your mails too!

Name*

Labels: ,