LET US PRAY: DAY 4 BY Carla Gasser


Devotions: Insanity By Carla Gasser


Albert Einstein defined insanity as:
 "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

For two weeks now, I have sat at my kitchen table and watched a robin fly into my sun-room window trying desperately to break through the glass. The noise of the bird flailing itself against the window is so loud it even wakes me up some mornings. 

 The poor little thing has not yet been successful, but, determined as ever, he gets back up and continues his attempts in vain, hoping for different results.

I pity this little bird, crashing senselessly into the window again and again, yet continuing to fly straight into the glass, hoping that the next time he will finally get it.  I worry that he is going to hurt himself or hit so hard that he will not be able to get back up.

I also wonder why he does it.  Does he see himself in the reflection and think it is another bird on his territory?  Is something inside my house attracting him?   Or is he trying to protect his nest in the nearby tree?  I don't really know, but as I have sat there, drinking my coffee in the early morning and watching this spring ritual, I cannot help but see myself in that determined bird.

How many times do I fling myself into "windows" or other perceived obstacles in my life, hoping to break through, change a situation, or make things happen only to fall flat on my face?

But instead of moving on, just like my feathered friend, I get back up and do the same exact thing, hoping that this time it will be different.

I try harder...

I fly faster...

I wait longer (maybe)...

And then, just like him, I am right back at it.  Praying and hoping for better results, but finding none.
A very visual picture of insanity, right?  I know what I should do, but cannot seem to do it.

It reminds of how Paul describes his struggle with sin in the Bible.  It is the struggle all of us have in wanting to do good, yet failing miserably.  We know the good we ought to do, the right choices we should make, the things about our character that need to change, but we are helpless.

Paul speaks to this human struggle in the book of Romans:

"For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate...For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out."  Romans 7: 15, 18

Oh my stars!  If this is what Paul, the apostle, is confessing...what hope do I have?  I am doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again as I slowly drive myself insane?

Thankfully Paul does not end it there or we would all be beyond hopeless!  He later concludes by saying:

"...we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."      Romans 8:37-39

Not even those stubborn windows that we keep flying into!  
I can be conqueror...more than a conqueror...and so can you!  We can break free from the habits, strongholds, and obstacles that keep us from living a life of freedom.  We do not have to keep flailing ourselves against the window!
How?  It is only through Jesus and His grace, mercy and love. 

Prayer Prompt
I am so thankful for a God who loves me despite my failures and shortcomings.  He is always for me,   and it is only through Him that I am able to overcome and break through the insanity.  

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. Thank you Lord, for all the promises and strength in Your Word.

Lord we pray for as many who need your guidance and direction. Let them find hope as they look up to you. Amen!

 ABOUT THE AUTHOR
When not teaching, writing or speaking, I am most myself as a wife and mom living in Hudson, Ohio with my four very active children (ages 18, 16, 14, & 10). I married, Michael, my childhood friend and high school sweetheart, over 24 years ago and feel very fortunate to have such a loving, generous and level headed partner and best friend.
I also enjoy serving in the women's ministry at my church, mentoring young women, and volunteering in the local public schools my children attend.  I continue to teach Bible studies and have a passion for local outreach.  
You can learn more about me and my ministry by visiting 
AT THE CROSSROADSor  http://carlagasser.com/

PS I am linking up here:
Hearts For Home           Inspire Me Monday       Booknificient Thursday      GMG     Faith Filled Friday      Five Minute Friday   Grace and Truth Link up    Recommendation Saturday        Give me grace    The Weekend Brew   Sunday Stillness   Mommy Moments Life of Faith
Home-Sing Monday      Good Morning Mondays   Mama Moments Monday   Modest Monday   Motivate and Rejuvenate Monday  Titus2sday    Good Tips Tuesday  Testimony Tuesday  Tell me a true story  Teaching What is good  Woman2Woman  #RaRa    Wholehearted Home   Tell His Story   A Little R and R  Coffee for your Heart   W2W Linkup   Soul Survival   Women with Intention
Ichoosejoy  Living Proverbs31  Shine Blog Hop  A Group Look
Please Get your copy of the New Devotional here:

Labels: ,