What Do You Ask for? God or His Gifts



Sometime last November my little princess turned 3years old. My brother –in law and his wife came over in the evening to celebrate with her. She was so excited seeing them because it had been a while. 

Her uncle asked her, “What would you really like for a gift?”

He held her up and carried her gently on to his laps. He watched her smiling and expected her to come up quickly with an answer of something she had longed for.

My little girl shocked everyone and we all sat in and wondered what prompted her to give such an answer.

Guess what she desired?

“Nothing” she blurted out with her eyes firm and sure of what she had said.

Not even a chocolate bar? He replied.

We all know they are one of her fave things. She without any hesitation said again, more loudly, that everyone in the room could hear her “Nothing Uncle Jozie”, I just want you.

Who had told her to demand for her favourite Uncle’s attention and not his gifts?

I slipped into thoughts, trying to make sense of the evenings’ events. This little girl had asked for the giver and not the gifts.

Quick Questions to reflect on:
>>How many times in your devotions and prayers do you desire God’s presence and not barge in on your endless list of needs and wants?

>>Do I love God for the gifts he showers on me?

>>Do I easily turn aside from God, after I have received my desire from him?

This scripture resonates in my heart.
One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
Psalm 27:4

As I reflected on what my baby had thought me, I realise she was a better daughter than I was to God. Loving God and dwelling in His Presence is to be desired above everything else including His Gifts that he generously blesses us with.

Prayer
Lord, I desire you more than anything else. I want to experience the joy that comes from being in your presence.

PS This article was first published at a diligent heart.
By His Great Grace,
Ifeoma Samuel

If you are visiting for the first time have access to all the free eBooks when you subscribe. Wonderful isn't it? 


indicates required



I usually linkup my articles with these wonderful ladies HERE.
If you enjoyed this article, you will find my book as a great resource too. Click to buy below.



Side Note
love reading your comments and visiting you too!
So, dear friends, if you find leaving a comment challenging, please try using the anonymous option but fill your name and contact after your comments. 

You can also try using Name and URL option too. If you are a blogger, please add your links in URL or comments so I can stop by too!

Labels: